Thursday, July 17, 2008

Drifters Apparently Unfazed by 2008 Election

There’s usually about one day a week where for “work” I essentially make a one or two appointments in Seattle, and then spend the rest of the day essentially wandering around downtown. Yesterday I spent a little over half the day doing just this, and it was mostly uneventful until around noon when on the corner of James and 2nd I was approached by not one, but two equally annoying characters. One was a college-aged kid on I believe one of those “Get out the vote” campaigns (otherwise he’s living a very sad existence by standing on street corners simply asking people if they’re registered for amusement), and the other a drifter/homeless type with a penchant for cussing.

Me: (Walks up to corner, waits for the little Caucasian fella to light up)

Voting Kid: Hi sir! Are you registered to vote?

Drifter Dude: (steps in front of me and points right at Voting Kid) Are YOUUUU registered to vote?

Voting Kid: (slight pause) uh….yeah

Drifter Dude: (still uncomfortably right in front of me, now turns to face me) I guess this little douchebag is not only registered to vote, but is registered to piss me the FUCK OFF!

Voting Kid: (visibly annoyed) Anyway (to me), are you registered to vote sir?

Drifter Dude: Don’t answer him kid

Voting Kid: Excuse me?

Drifter Dude: (tries to put arm around me, I duck out of way) I’m talking to my friend here, PAL! Take your vote and shove it up your ass!

Voting Kid: Does your “friend” even know your name?

Drifter Dude: (pause, turns to face me again, and lowers voice) Do I kill him now, or later?

*Crosswalk Caucasian lights up*

Me: How about now…BYE!

No comments: